canuzzi - solar-powered pump canoe hot tub
LOW POWER NEEDS
small usb power pack powers our sign for festy wagon!
- Cordless power tool batteries can be nice if you already have them, they have built-in over-discharge protection, but are awkward shapes and hard to connect to.
- 3s-4s LiPO hobby batteries are the second cheapest source of li-ion power, work great and sometime have built-in protection - make sure yours do, or add some.
- 18650s are the cheapest source of li-ion power, but need to be combined into packs for most purposes, also there are loads of counterfeits and false claims on these cells, choose carefully from a reputable source. If it seems too good to be true, it is.
- 12V SLA/deep cycle lead-acid batteries work great and are cheap, but are heavy and need protection.
the iconic flowtoys mobile vending cart - runs on a lead-acid battery
- For under 3 amps these JST connectors are the most reliable, common, cheap, and easy to use solution I’ve found. You can use the crimp-on ones for cleaner wiring, but they are quite fiddly and I find the ones with leads faster and easier to implement.
- for 3-4pin power and data, these are the most commonly included on LED strip for good reason. As crappy as they seem at first, they are the best cheap solution I’ve used.
- for more durable/water-resistant connections, check out these connectors.
- There are many other connector options, but once you get over 3-5 amps, I highly recommend “anderson powerpole” connectors. They are universal, physically symmetrical, incredibly versatile, reliable, and widely-used.
anderson pole connectors
the pod wagon - our festival mobile family wagon - carries our kid and all our gear, and is a great way for friends to find us :)
battery-powered bike lighting